Friday, May 3, 2013

Jennyalogy Review of Bushell book

I've just been informed about a good review of my book 'Paul Bushell, Second Fleeter' - by Jenny Joyce, on her genealogy blog. Jenny has no connection to the Bushell family yet, within the book, she saw many lessons for genealogical researchers. It's encouraging to feel that your books serve as role models for family history researchers.

For a book which was published in 2010, this review might seem rather belated, but it's not. Family histories have a 'long tail', to use marketing jargon. They keep on keeping on, finding new readers as people begin researching their family histories and become aware of the existence of a relevant book.

Speaking of matters which keep on keeping on, I'd like to invite my satisfied readers to encourage their own local library to purchase my family histories. Payments to Australian authors under the Public Lending Rights Scheme do not commence until each title is held by at least 30 libraries (I think that's the magic number), but for self-published authors such as myself, this is quite a hurdle to overcome. The marketers at mainstream publishing companies, on first-name terms with the purchasing officers at libraries around Australia, can easily break the 30 barrier. Thus they achieve an ongoing revenue stream for their authors extending years into the future. My only sales force is my existing customer base!

No comments:

Post a Comment